Following on from Astrocade hardware, I thought I would like to do a core as near as possible from scratch. So apart from using the Z80 from opencores, and basing the timing code on that used in the Pacman core, I went from the Crazy Balloon schematics to produce a complete core for it. Where the documentation is good enough, the analogue sounds are also done correctly, but since it uses the SN74677 sound chip and does things to it not even mentioned in the manual. I ended up sampling my cab for those three sounds
Cosmic Guerilla – Signs of Life
I thought that swopping the CPU in the cosmic core to allow me to do Cosmic Guerilla would be simple. How wrong was I … 16 bit vs 8 bit, different memory read write signals, different port handling, even the reset is different! Anyway, for the first time it actually shows something running on screen….
Bally Astrocade Interface for MiSTer
One of the first things I did on the MiSTer once I had acquired a setup was to take the code for the Astrocade console, add in the additional hardware used by the arcade versions of the games to see if I could get them running. (See original post here) Following that I then decided…
Guttang Guttong (Galaxian Hardware) – Maybe!
Whilst making recent changes to the Galaxian core on MiSTer, I looked at the newest games in the Mame core as well to see what had been added that runs on standard galaxian hardware. One, that was flagged as ‘Not Working’ was “GuttangTN” I didn’t originally plan to look at this any further, but the…
Bally Astrocade arcade games on MiSTer
Well, what a weird year it has been so far. I’ve been learning to code in VHDL and Verilog on the MiSTer platform. The first task was one I have wanted to do since I bought an FPGA Replay was to take the existing Bally Arcadia console core, add in the necessary extra ram, pattern…
Bally Astrocade Interface for MiSTer V2.0
Populated the necessary locations for Gorf on the new board, did some sanity checks to make sure I wasn’t putting 5v down any lines to the DE10, discovered a missing track and some layout errors. It all works and I even managed to get the speech working from DDRAM, so you don’t actually need to…
Galaxian Updates for MiSTer
I know it looks the same as the pictures from the Multigame connected to a galaxian PCB, but this time I updated the Galaxian core on the MiSTer to allow me to run the multigame on it. It should make testing things a lot quicker since the MiSTer is always connected and ready to go….